As your social media strategy picks up steam, I can’t help to think that more changes are coming your way.
In the antiquated industrial business model, you advertise to attract clients. For the most part your clients were like well raised children, they didn’t speak unless they were spoken to. Except for when they were angry. They’d get passed along from one person to another who couldn’t solve their problem until eventually, they wrote angry letters.
I’ve been that guy before. As a customer, being ignored or brushed off is infuriating. I’ve sat in front of customer service, sales staff, managers and owners to explain a particular issue. Trust me when I tell you that customers can tell the difference when you just ‘hear’ us out and when you’re really listening to what I have to say.
As you ramp up your social media program remember that the key to success is conversation. In order to use that conversation to build trust and connections, you’ll need to learn how to listen to individuals rather than just hear the noise.
It was easy to ignore customers before. They didn’t have a platform to stand on, but now they do. Soon you won’t have a choice but to listen and this is will drive change in your corporate culture.
For starters, you’ll likely need a lot more people acting in the role of customer service. However, if trends hold true, it’s not going to be the angry letter writers taking up your time. It’s going to be the silent majority who you’ll hear from. You’ll be hearing from the hundreds or thousands of clients you did treat well. Like the angry letter writers, they also never had a platform to stand on to tell you how much they liked you.
Have you had any good experience with companies who listen?
Top 10 Most Popular Articles
- A Glossary of the Most Common Marketing Terms
- Transmedia Storytelling and Content Marketing
- How to Buy Radio Advertising in Calgary (or anywhere else)
- It’s A Small World After All
- The 5 Most Inspiring Marketing Books I’ve Ever Read
- Part One: Building a Tribe – The Sufferfest #IWBMATTKYT
- The Most Predictive Sales KPIs – A Balanced Scorecard Approach
- The 25 Best Business Articles I’ve Ever Read
- Calgary Radio Advertising Checklist: Lite 95.9 or JACK FM #yyc
- Four Characteristics of an Adaptive Organization
Sign up for our newsletter!