I’ve been doing lots of reading and researching as I’m in the process of writing a marketing book that integrates traditional and social media for small businesses.
It occurred to me that with social media tools we are all now publishers of media. The problem that most businesses encounter is that they’ve been habituated to publish one message…buy now, buy now, buy now. With diminishing returns on the Buy Now model, marketers are shifting their focus & energy to building their own communities, much like traditional media companies have already done. Once a business/brand has an audience, they move from being just a publisher to becoming a broadcaster that can monetize their community by providing value.
Traditional Media programmers & curators have a unique prospective that I think is important to learn from. If you were to broadcast to the JACKFM audience “listen now, listen now, listen now” we’d lose listeners quickly. I think we do an exceptional job at providing our listeners lots of great reasons to stay tuned in ie. great music mix, contests, M&E connectivitiy etc. I suspect that one of the most difficult components of their job figuring out how to grow or maintain their audience/community.
I believe that in the very near future, many businesses will also recognize that they have the same job…to curate, share & distribute content in a way that’s relevant & interesting to their customers. When companies start to do this (and some already are) they will realize how different it is to provide value rather than demand sales. Those that have, understand that in order to engage their customers they need to encourage their ‘followers’ to share their experience with their friends, thereby creating word of mouth marketing.
Top 10 Most Popular Articles
- A Glossary of the Most Common Marketing Terms
- It’s A Small World After All
- The 5 Most Inspiring Marketing Books I’ve Ever Read
- Transmedia Storytelling and Content Marketing
- How to Buy Radio Advertising in Calgary (or anywhere else)
- The Most Predictive Sales KPIs – A Balanced Scorecard Approach
- The 25 Best Business Articles I’ve Ever Read
- Calgary Radio Advertising Checklist: Lite 95.9 or JACK FM #yyc
- Four Characteristics of an Adaptive Organization
- Part One: Building a Tribe – The Sufferfest #IWBMATTKYT
Sign up for our newsletter!