If you’ve got a smartphone, download and open up the Shazam app and activate it while this Old Navy video plays. Go ahead, I’ll wait.
Seriously, try it.
Amazing, eh? By watching this commercial, you can buy the clothes, and music that you’re seeing. Right now, this very moment.
I’ve seen bits and pieces of research that pointed to this. First there was this study. One of the findings is …
“86% of mobile Internet users (and 92% of 13-24s) are using their mobile devices simultaneously with TV. A quarter of them say they are browsing content related to what they are watching, presenting a compelling opportunity for content providers and advertisers alike to complement the viewing experience on the mobile platform.”
Secondly, I’ve seen QR codes on posters like this one in the locker room at my gym.
In both cases, the ads on are distributed largely on traditional media platforms to reach a mass audience. Then, the audience has the ability to become directly engaged with the brand in their own environment, on their own terms. A portion of audience then converts from a passive voyeur to a real interactive consumer, shopping. The consumer can pause their TV show, take the time to explore the brand’s website, purchase products and share their findings with their personal networks.
In short, I’m blown away.
Have you seen any other examples or case studies of this?
Top 10 Most Popular Articles
- A Glossary of the Most Common Marketing Terms
- The 5 Most Inspiring Marketing Books I’ve Ever Read
- It’s A Small World After All
- Transmedia Storytelling and Content Marketing
- The Most Predictive Sales KPIs – A Balanced Scorecard Approach
- Calgary Radio Advertising Checklist: Lite 95.9 or JACK FM #yyc
- The 25 Best Business Articles I’ve Ever Read
- Part One: Building a Tribe – The Sufferfest #IWBMATTKYT
- Four Characteristics of an Adaptive Organization
- How to Buy Radio Advertising in Calgary (or anywhere else)
Sign up for our newsletter!