At this very moment, I’m filling in my year end performance review. I just got to the section called Change Leadership which is worth 10% of my overall review. Here’s what I wrote in my “employee comments” section
“I’ve come to learn one absolutely true fact about the ideas that bring about change that I would like to share….Ideas scare people.
As in any other natural environment, when an organism is put into a position of acute stress the natural biological reaction is to fight it or take flight from it.
Ideas that bring about change are triggers that bring about acute stress. By definition, they’re different. They can be shocking. They challenge our norms and beliefs. As a result, these thought provoking ideas are often met with anger (which manifests from fight) or disinterest (which manifests from flight).
For any company that truely wants change leadership, they need to set in place two critical elements to support the environment that change vision requires. First, trust. Every company must understand the delicate nature of it. Secondly, self confident management & systems are needed to encourage and foster idea sharing a workplace.
Companies like 3M and Google have figured out that their employees are capable of remarkable things when trusted to share their ideas.”
Top 10 Most Popular Articles
- A Glossary of the Most Common Marketing Terms
- Transmedia Storytelling and Content Marketing
- How to Buy Radio Advertising in Calgary (or anywhere else)
- It’s A Small World After All
- The 5 Most Inspiring Marketing Books I’ve Ever Read
- The Most Predictive Sales KPIs – A Balanced Scorecard Approach
- The 25 Best Business Articles I’ve Ever Read
- Part One: Building a Tribe – The Sufferfest #IWBMATTKYT
- Calgary Radio Advertising Checklist: Lite 95.9 or JACK FM #yyc
- Four Characteristics of an Adaptive Organization
Sign up for our newsletter!