Thanks to CIR Realty for hosting this great event. I missed the two other guys who were instrumental in putting this day together but if anybody and comment on their names, I’ll name sure to add a link to their business.
I was about 1/2 hour late so I’ll start this post from the point of time that I arrived.
Q. How do you measure ROI?
– You’re selling ideas so it’s important to track how successful the ideas are implanted. This leads back to trust and so it’ important to prove what you claim. For oil & gas companies, it’s not enough to claim that you’re not harming the environment, you have to prove it.
How can realtors stand out?
– MLS listings are a commodity so inventory is not a differentiator. Whether or not I can stand 4 hours a car with you is.
If content is King, what is your approach to content strategy?
– Create content that builds trust.
– Think about how the content builds or breaks your reputation.
– Try to create content that raises your value (value = Benefit/cost).
– Relevance is King, not content
– Social Media allows Westjet to explain to customers what’s happening behind the scene.
– Create a space for customer generated content “Dear Westjet, please whisk me away to _________”
– Try to stimulate conversations.
What Kinds of things are you scaling back on in your Marketing for 2013?
– Questioning the value of Newspaper. We need to get a better understanding of how consumers are using digital content and how we can reach them.
– Market is so competitive we are also scaling back on print. Digital is quicker and better able to respond to rapidly changing market conditions. Mobile is a very real platform that we need to figure out.
– We are all trying to figure out the right media mix but newspaper is definitely decreasing.
– Video and web are becoming core components of this mix.
– Everyone wants to know what gives me the best bang for my buck. Digital gives us the ability to track everything.
– Guesses that 10-15% of marketing budgets are being allocated to Social Media and digital spending. This area is growing mainly in web and video.
– When he took over at CREB there was no organized activity in new media so he focused on this.
– Experimenting with video and blogging.
– The transition from traditional to social is like shifting sands. If you turn your back on traditional media you are losing lots of opportunity (cool example here).
– Understand who your customers are and what kinds of ways they communicate (great tool here).
– Always think about how you can add value.
What can we do in 2013 to better market our business?
– Unlock your tribal knowledge.
– Let me know about the things you are passionate about. Why is this community so great? What are 3 things I should know about this house or neighbourhood?
– Social media is an opportunity to share your knowledge
– Become liked, known and trusted.
– You can create an illusion of being everywhere by cherry picking your spots and consistently being present there.
– Don’t do it if you’re not going to commit to it.
– Go in to build relationships. Invest the time.
– Limit your platform choices and commit.
– Find Your Voice
– Don’t think about social media as work. Think about it as talking to people.
What platforms should realtors use?
– Start with who you want to reach. Then match your strategy and platform selection to best reach that customer.
Are there any DO NOT DOs in Social Media?
– Your public profile is both your business and personal profile. The are interconnected and you can’t unsay things so be careful of what you say. It’s like a person who is driving a company car with a logo on it then goes out and drives like an idiot in public.
– Don’t automate your feeds.
– Don’t give your brand to an 18 year old who is going to tweet for you.
– Don’t stray too far off point.
– Don’t wing it. Have some governance model or social media policy.
– Don’t get angry in social media channels.
Up next will be my notes from Scott Stratten’s talk.
Did I miss anything? Are there any points you can add or expand on? Please leave your message in the comments below.
Top 10 Most Popular Articles
- A Glossary of the Most Common Marketing Terms
- Transmedia Storytelling and Content Marketing
- How to Buy Radio Advertising in Calgary (or anywhere else)
- It’s A Small World After All
- The 5 Most Inspiring Marketing Books I’ve Ever Read
- Part One: Building a Tribe – The Sufferfest #IWBMATTKYT
- The Most Predictive Sales KPIs – A Balanced Scorecard Approach
- The 25 Best Business Articles I’ve Ever Read
- Calgary Radio Advertising Checklist: Lite 95.9 or JACK FM #yyc
- Four Characteristics of an Adaptive Organization
Sign up for our newsletter!