In science there is a law that say that energy cannont be created or destroyed, only changed from one form to another. Here’s a video to help you visualize this.
In marketing, we’re going through a transformation.
It seems like there are a number of new forms of marketing energy manifesting through social media and its coming from consumers. To be clear, consumer energy didn’t change, it always had potential. Consumer power was stored within small localized groups. People have always spread their impression of a brand through word of mouth.
What has changed is the the way that consumer energy (aka word of mouth) is released. Customers today have a multitude of easy ways to share their opinion and reviews about a brand. In the blink of an eye, it seems that consumers have come out of nowhere and released their potential energy through social media and converted it into motion. Social media tools such as a Like button, act as lubricants to decrease the friction of sharing and thus make it easier for consumers to share their thoughts about a brand.
Here’s an example to help visualize potential vs. kinetic energy
What is amazing to me is the thought that this friction will continue to decrease as more consumers join social networks and digital communities.
Do you think businesses will find a way to reverse this process or learn to harness it?
Top 10 Most Popular Articles
- A Glossary of the Most Common Marketing Terms
- Transmedia Storytelling and Content Marketing
- How to Buy Radio Advertising in Calgary (or anywhere else)
- It’s A Small World After All
- The 5 Most Inspiring Marketing Books I’ve Ever Read
- The Most Predictive Sales KPIs – A Balanced Scorecard Approach
- The 25 Best Business Articles I’ve Ever Read
- Part One: Building a Tribe – The Sufferfest #IWBMATTKYT
- Calgary Radio Advertising Checklist: Lite 95.9 or JACK FM #yyc
- Four Characteristics of an Adaptive Organization
Sign up for our newsletter!